Birmingham Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine
We treat a wide variety of disorders and dysfunctions including:
- General Neck and Back Pain
- Sports Injuries
- Post-operative Dysfunction including joint replacement and rotator cuff surgeries
- Pelvic pain / Incontinence
- Pre / Postnatal Back and Hip Pain
- Tendonitis / Tendonosis
- Muscle Sprains / Strains
- Work-related injuries
- Temperomandibular Joint Pain (TMJ dysfunction)
- Vestibular Dysfunction / Dizziness
- Neurological Disorders (stroke, MS, Parkinson’s, etc.)
- Senior Wellness
We use a variety of Treatments to resolve your pain and dysfunction, such as:
- Manual Therapy (joint manipulation and mobilization)
PHYSICAL THERAPY MANIPULATION HAS BEEN SHOWN TO HAVE A POSITIVE EFFECT ON LOW BACK PAIN….In a study by Flynn et al, over 90% of the patients who satisfied 4 of the 5 criteria in the Clinical Prediction Rule experienced a 50% or greater reduction in self-reported disability occurring over just two treatment sessions. Other studies have supported this finding, with treatment consisting of manipulation and simple range of motion exercises.
- Soft Tissue Work
- Therapeutic Exercise
- Neuromuscular Re-education such as balance activities and taping
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Vestibular Rehabilitation
- ADL Training / Instruction in Body Mechanics and Ergonomics
- Gait Evaluation and Training (walking and running)
- Trigger Point Dry Needling
TRIGGER POINT DRY NEEDLING / INTRAMUSCULAR MANUAL THERAPY is a technique used to treat the neuro-musculoskeletal system based on pain patterns, muscular dysfunction and other orthopedic signs and symptoms. It is used to treat soft tissue dysfunction such as inflammation, contracture, tissue adhesion, and microcirculation. The primary goal is to desensitize the supersensitive structures, to restore motion and function, and to hopefully induce a healing response in the tissue.
- Visceral Mobilization
- Lumbar and Cervical Mechanical Traction
- Modalities such as Electrical /Neuromuscular Stimulation, Ultrasound, Iontophoresis
PT, MS, OCS
Ellen has been practicing physical therapy since 1979. She is an Orthopedic Certified Specialist, with a special interest in spine and manual therapy. Ellen is a guest lecturer and lab consultant at UAB Physical Therapy School and has served on both the State and National Physical Therapy Association Boards. She enjoys mountain biking, hiking, and traveling. She still gets together regularly with her college friends from Sewanee!
- Fun fact: Ellen’s career test from high school predicted her to be a hairdresser or a PT!
PT, DPT, OCS
Julie earned her Doctorate of Physical Therapy from UAB after graduating from Auburn University with a degree in exercise science. She is an Orthopedic Certified Specialist with an interest in manual therapy for spinal dysfunction. She has done continuing education in areas of mobilization with movement, dry needling, and yoga. Julie enjoys entertaining, running, and spending time at the farm with her family of six!
- Fun Fact: If Julie had to pick another career, she would be a dermatologist.
Scott worked for several years in acute care rehabilitation at UAB before he discovered his true love of manual therapy here at Birmingham PT. He has extensive training in mobilization and manipulation techniques for musculoskeletal disorders. He is a lab instructor at UAB Physical Therapy School and enjoys riding his motorcycle, metal work, and outside activities. He has four kids that all support themselves and he is a “distinguished senior” at his local pistol range. If/when he grows up, he wants to be a bartender.
- Fun fact: Scott was a collegiate cheerleader at Jacksonville State University
PT, DPT, OCS
Kimberly earned her Doctorate of Physical Therapy from UAB after graduating from Auburn University with a degree in biomedical sciences. She is an Orthopedic Certified Specialist and enjoys treating a variety of orthopedic injuries with a manual therapy approach. She has done continuing education in the areas of spinal mobilization/manipulation and dry needling. Kimberly enjoys outdoor activities, spending time at the lake, and tailgating for football games with her family.
- Fun fact: Kimberly and her husband are a divided house. She attended Auburn and her husband cheers for Alabama!
Kristen graduated from UAB with a Doctorate of Physical Therapy after graduating from Auburn University in Exercise Science. She is experienced in outpatient orthopedics, sports medicine, and manual therapy with a focus on sports-related injuries. She has taken courses about baseball players, dry needling, and lumbopelvic mobilization/manipulation. She enjoys spending time at Lake Martin, water skiing, and doing outdoor activities with her two little ones. If you have good pizza recipes, tell Kristen so that she can eventually win the family pizza cooking contest!!!
- Fun Fact: Kristen can twirl fire and knives!
PT, MS, OCS, MTC
Chris has been practicing physical therapy since 2001. He is an Orthopedic Certified Specialist, with a special interest in spine and manual therapy. He is also Manual Therapy Certified through the University of St. Augustine. Chris is a lab consultant at UAB Physical Therapy School. Chris has an additional interest in Sports performance related to runners and Golfers. In his free time, he enjoys going to the lake with his wife Kristen, who also works at BPT, and 2 children.
Will earned his Doctorate of Physical Therapy from UAB after graduating from the University of Montevallo with a degree in kinesiology. He has clinical experience in pediatric physical therapy and loves working with children. He is married to his high school sweetheart who is a practicing speech pathologist in the Birmingham area. In his free time he enjoys camping/backpacking, watching European soccer, and woodworking.
- Fun Fact: Despite growing up in the middle of Alabama, Will pulls for the Ole Miss Rebels in football.
Sarah in originally from Mississippi, and she moved to Birmingham in 2015. She is hoping to pursue a career in occupational therapy in the future. During her free time, Sarah enjoys attending church, spending time with her family, reading, and being outdoors.
- Fun fact: Sarah sings just like Whitney Houston!
Danielle received her undergraduate degree in Kinesiology from UAB. She is planning to pursue a career in physical therapy in the future. During her downtime, Danielle likes to eat, work out, volunteer, or catch a movie with friends. She loves to travel.
- Fun fact: Danielle's dream job is to be a professional food taster for cook-offs!